Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Bone Ride

Three EBC members - Gary Pickens, Mike Maliska and I decided to do the annual "The Bone Ride".
 It is a ride from Milwaukee, WI to Madison, WI and back. The full ride is about 158 miles (253 km). We decided to do the more sensible "Wimp" version, which starts from Pewaukee, WI and goes to Madison and back. Total distance of 130 miles (209 km). We drove to Pewaukee, parked the cars and started getting ready. I had everything set the night before - shoes, helmet, gloves, computer, water bottles, glasses, sun screen etc. As I put the helmet on, I realized that I had taken my 12 years old son's helmet. The helmet would not fit my head no matter what I tried. I started panicking. I did not want to ride without helmet for 130 miles in a big group ride, but did not want to miss the ride either. Luckily Gary had noticed a bike store down the block that was open at 08:00 AM. They did have helmets for rent. After getting one that fit my head, we were just waiting for the main group to pass by so we can join them. At that time there were easily 30-40 riders like us. The main group showed but, but just few hundred yards from where we were, there was a road block. A freight train had derailed and it was blocking the road. The whole group of close to 200 cyclist had to turn back and start looking for alternative route. After few wrong turns we got on track and started cruising along. We split into two large groups, so we can make it easier for the cars and trucks to pass us. The weather was sunny, with fairly strong and steady side wind. The groups were not as organized and disciplined as I had expected and there was constant yo-yo effect - the group would accelerate and decelerate all the time, particularly going uphill. The terrain was mostly rolling hills. The pace was all over the place, but our average was around 21 mph until we reached the outskirts of Madison. I finished my two water bottles about 30 miles into the ride and at mile 60, with 5 miles to go I was running on fumes. I decided not to try to keep up with the group on the hills, but to go on my own pace and keep them in sight. As we entered Madison the speed dropped down because of traffic lights and turns and I was able to re-join them. We went by the Capitol Hill and down a street with whole bunch of small restaurants and fast food places. Because of the train delay, instead of arriving in Madison at noon, we were about 35 minutes late and had less than an hour for rest. We quickly found a Jimmy Johns sandwich place and started eating and drinking. I was in damage control mode, knowing that it was going to be a long and hard ride home. I ate a whole sandwich and drank as much coke as I could. A 1:30 PM the whole group gathered in front of the Yellow Jersey bike store (a block away from where we ate) and we had a group picture. We started riding back home. This time I decided to go to the first group, so when I drop back there would be a group behind. Mike joined me, Gary stayed with the group behind. The wind was getting stronger and the temperature was rising. I finished my two water bottles in the first 20 miles. On one of the longer hills I decided not to go in the red zone and dropped back. There was a small group of 7-8 riders who did the same. At the top of the hill it was clear that I was not going to be able to catch the main group. The few of us started doing a rotating double pace line, picked up few more stragglers and we were able to keep the group in front of us in view. The pace line was not very smooth, we constantly kept picking the pace up, got to 26-27 miles per hour and everybody burned out. The pace went down. The second big group with Gary in it, passed us. I was  very dehydrated at that time and did not even think of jumping in the back of the group. It was all about finishing the ride at that point. About 90-95 miles into the ride I knew that without water I was not going to make it. I saw one of the SAG vans in a park on the side of the road and stopped. Mike saw me stopping and turned back. The SAG people gave us each a bottle of HEED (electrolyte drink). I think I drank the whole thing in less than 3 seconds. I felt much better. We started again and over the next 10 miles we picked few more stragglers. With about 20 miles to go, I was getting even more dehydrated. Another SAG van stopped by us as we were waiting at a highway crossing and gave each one of us one more bottle of HEED. That did the trick. We formed a group of 3-4 riders and took pulls into the wind. We made it back to Pewaukee after 130 miles and 6:40 in the saddle. Up to that point I had no worries about Gary, as he was ahead of us. To my great surprise he was not there. As I was returning the helmet, Gary called with bad news. He had dropped back from the group and had made a wrong turn with about 10 miles to go. Fortunately, he quickly realized the mistake and was a able to get directions. At the end he ended up with very little "bonus miles"
We all went to a nearby Ice Cream place and drunk as much Coke as we could.
That was the longest and the hardest ride I have done. On arrival home I ate almost half of a big water melon and went to bed early. After stepping on the scale before going to bed I realized that I had lost 15 lbs despite of drinking close to 2 gallons of fluids after the ride. I was not making any urine until the late afternoon on the day after. This was the worst case of dehydration I have ever had.
Overall it was a good experience. I cannot even imagine doing the additional 30 miles.
I am looking forward to the next club meeting with the Nutritionist. For a long ride like this, nutrition and hydration on the bike is of paramount importance.
Here is a link to the Garmin file:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/181701510#.T77TnJGbqsI.email

Felix

3 comments:

  1. That really must have been a killer ride. Glad you're OK. When is the nutritionist presenting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nutritionist will say: Please eat more food and drink more water. Sounds like you should be bringing at least 400 calories with you to madison. Then 400 calories back. Likewise, you should be able to make mke to madison on 3-5L of water, no problem (camel back + water bottles).

    Thanks for the ride report! I wanted to recommend this ride to a friend!

    ReplyDelete