Sunday, May 29, 2011

5/29 Ride Recap - A Ride Filled With Lots of Laughs

Today's ride started out rather inauspiciously due to the heavy fog. The fog was so heavy that I almost turned back for home, before I realized that it wasn't quite so thick once I wiped off my glasses. The weather kept our numbers down, and since only Trish and Will had shown up for a different EBC ride they decided to join us. This got our total up to 6 riders (including Felix, Martin, John, and me). However, the six of us turned out to be a particularly compatible group. We had a nice leisurely ride up to Panera Bread in Lake Buff. My favorite line from the stop at Panera was John Chisholm's response to Trish's comment that Double Stuff Oreos are nutritionally void, "that's why I eat the whole box" (OK, you might have to of heard John's droll delivery of this line for it to seen as funny as it did in person).

Coming back home down the bunny trail (the Skokie Valley Bikeway), Will suffered two flats within a mile of each other. Now, typically hanging around while someone is fixing a flat everyone is antsy. However, for some reason our group found these stops to be a great opportunity for humor. Lot's of witty comments from the group, only a few of which were at Will's expense. The second flat could almost be classified as a third flat, as a new tube that was put on turned out to have a hole in it, so it actually turned out to be a three tube operation.

I'm not sure if the rest of the group got rained on at the tail end of the ride, because I broke off early to head home. However, I got caught in the rain less than a mile from home. With all the rain this Spring, this is the fourth time I have made it to within a mile of home prior to getting caught in the rain. My timing must be just a smidge off.

A report from Hugo contained good news. He indicates that his doctor thinks he'll be back on his bike in about 5 weeks. Here's hoping he heals even faster.

5 comments:

  1. We did get the rain at the end. Just north of Lake Ave, on Illinois Road in Wilmette Will had another flat (#4). John immediately came up with a solution. He offered to give Will a ride home and also arranged a shelter for him. It started raining at that time. Trish made it to her house almost in time before the heavy rain came down. John and I got soaked. The last 5 miles for me were riding on streets full of water. What made me feel better was that on Gross Point Road I passed a group of 5 riders on recumbent bikes that looked more miserable than me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the LOOK did not com out today; John rode his 12.9 pound Fuji. (Well, at least part of the bike was 12.9 pounds.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cons - How was Bike The Foggy Drive?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The EBC ride to the Drive was nice and well organized. Melissa and I sat on the beach with 10 feet of visibility around us. It was eerie. Although we didn't get rained on, we were soaked.

    ReplyDelete