Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Ride Recap - 100 miles for a Butter Burger

Our group had a good ride to Pleasant Prairie WI, and we survived the ride home in the first 90 degree day of the year fighting against a stiff breeze out the SSW (Weather.com is reporting it got up to 19 mph by the end of the ride). We only missed one turn and only had one flat.

The ride up to the Culver's in Pleasant Prairie was really pleasant. The temperature was moderate and we had the wind pushing us. Felix pulled the group most of the way at a good pace. However, we're still trying to figure out how it could be that Cliff Hoffman, who was ahead of us, was better at navigating his way to Pleasant Prairie by himself than the combined wisdom of the nine other members of our group. He correctly made the turn we missed. Sadly, it does not speak well for the combined wisdom of our group.

The wind picked up over the course of the day. Between fighting the wind and the heat, the ride home was challenging. Cons measured the heat bouncing off the roads we were riding on at 96 degrees. We even made an extra stop at Panera Bread in Lake Bluff in order to cool down and re-hydrate

In regard to the ongoing battle between Cons and Martin to lower the weights of their bikes, Cons may be becoming a bit paranoid. He is convinced that Martin was not on the ride today because he was too busy scheming and planning how to get the weight of his bike lower than that of Cons bicycle.

8 comments:

  1. Hard ride on the way home! I finally persuaded Felix to soft pedal, I should have been an attorney. Checked my computer, 102 miles, 5 hours 23 minutes ride time. Not Bad for the this years first century!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My story is that I was not lightening my bike but walking in the sweltering heat downtown, and I am sticking (literally) to it.

    Walking around downtown Chicago, I was probably working harder because there was no drafting behind anybody.

    So most of you guys have ridden 200+ miles over this long weekend. Amazing! Can you still sit down on a chair?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sitting on chair is not a problem. I am now discovering that I did not apply enough sunscreen to my legs ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some pretty cool sunburned racing stripes on my arms. Will those make me go any faster??? Great ride!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW I had a physical today and some of my test results were off due to dehydration

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ride home was brutal. I stopped at Old School woods to replenish my water. I went through 3 camelbaks 2 water bottles and a milk shake on the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steve,
    I am glad you made it home safe and sound. I did not see at what point we lost you. I will try to be more careful next time.
    We had to make a unscheduled stop at Panera on Rt. 176 too to get more water and to cool off. It was too hot, too early in the season, so no one was ready.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lost you guys after you turned from Kilbourne/Wadsworth/Delany.

    I went Delany/Oplaine/St. Mary's/Everette then took Riverwoods south towards home.

    There is a nice water fountain in Old School woods off St. Mary's just S of 176.

    ReplyDelete