Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Do You Count Trainer Miles?

The EBC Wednesday Show & Go ride attracted 9 riders this morning who took advantage of the last day of the snow drought to get in a good ride. We rode through the Botanic Gardens and took the Skokie Valley Bikeway on our way to Bluffingtons. The question of "Do you count trainer miles?" when setting and calculating mileage goals generated a wide variety of responses on both sides of the question.

Personally, my opinion is that only rolling miles should count.

Feel free to join the conversation by posting a comment.

4 comments:

  1. I keep track of my trainer miles (which are harder than road miles in my opinion) but I do not include them in my overall total for the year.I am always much more worn out after a session on the trainer than twice the miles on the road.I don't think you should count them but add them with an asterix because they really do count in the legs.(shut up legs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dave, they are harder than road miles. But I think you should include them. Not because it is easy but because it is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Until last year I had no way to keep track of the trainer miles. I did not do many any way outside of the VQ, so I did not count them. This year with the Garmin and the powertap I can count every foot my rear wheel thinks it is doing. I agree that the trainer miles are much harder that anything outdoors. The Garmin software allows you to label each session differently, so now I label the trainer miles as an Indoor Cycling and the outdoor miles as Road Cycling. This way I can easily get a report as Total miles, or separate them as Indoor (trainer) miles vs. Road Cycling (outdoor) miles.
    My goal for the year will be based on the Outdoor miles as they are more fun.

    ReplyDelete