Sunday, July 1, 2012

7/1/2012 Ride Re-cap

Despite of posting the ride for 8AM I was convinced that it was starting at 7. When I arived at Panera and saw nobody there, I checked the posted time and I realized my error. I could have slept one more hour. Shortly after Alvin Spector showed up and we had a little chat. He did not want to wait until 8 and went to ride by himself.  One by one the usual suspects started to roll in. We had a new rider -Richard, the husband of Tracy (the nutritionist who gave us the lecture at the last EBC meeting). There was another EBC Show and Go ride at 8 that was planning to ride Panera to Panera.

At 8AM we started with:
Mike
Joe
Martin
Dave
Cons
Richard
Felix

We decided to practice riding in a single paceline at 22-23 mph. We were mostly succesful. Despite of being a fairly small group, we were not particularly smooth. There was some surging after stops and corners, there were few jerky moments when the pace slowed down for road obstacles and we had to react at the last moment. Once we got to the bike path and later on St. Mary we kind of settled in the pace and were smoother. We did the usual loop around the cemetery and on the way back from on Waukegan Road from Buckley to Rt. 176 we decided to pick up the pace as usual. Mike did a hard and fast pull and then Martin took over. I was hanging for my dear life, at some point I looked at my heart rate and it was 188. We made a short stop at Panera for water. At that point it was getting hot and we decided to skip the extra loop. The other EBC group was rolling in as we were getting ready to get back on the road. They had a flat on the way.
We did the usual ride back via Waukegan Rd, Everett, Old Elm, Fort Sheridan, Sheridan Rd, St. John's, Roger Williams to Green Bay Rd. On Green Bay Rd. we picked up the speed slightly and arived at Panera as a group. Despite of the high humidity it ended up as a nice ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment