Sunday, June 12, 2011

6/12 Ride Recap - Panera to Panera

We had a nice 40 mile ride today taking advantage of lovely weather. Our group included 7 riders for a Panera Bread in Wilmette to a Panera Bread in Lake Bluff ride. This was the first one on which our group  practiced a rotating paceline. Not unexpectedly, the rotating paceline was a bit ragged, but improved over the course of the ride.

We took the Skokie Valley Bikeway up to 176. When Felix threw out the suggestion that we consider adding an extra 10 mile loop to the ride, it was met with very meager enthusiasm. After yesterday's long hard ride, it did not take much discussion before the group reached a consensus that a 40 mile ride would be just fine. We  had a nice relaxing stop at a Panera and a discussion that included lots of anecdotes about past Evanston Bike Club rides.

With the wind at our backs on the way home, we returned back down the Skokie Valley Bikeway at a really brisk pace. Weather.com reports that the wind is from the ENE, but I'm going to believe my own eyes and the flag that I saw blowing true south. It's always pleasant to have the wind directly at your back on the way  home.

6 comments:

  1. Randy was very gentle when he called the rotating paceline ragged ;-)
    We will need to seriously practice. I think it will be smoother with more riders. Or if it does not seem to work out to be efficient, we can always fall back on the single paceline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest we step up our training. Possibly remote starts on Saturday to locations with Open roads. This would accommodate practicing rotating pacelines. The routes should be 50 to 60 miles no stops.

    I would also be willing to open up my Family room to indoor interval training. I have the room/videos.we could meet once a week. All you would need is a trainer and a fan.

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be good to look for an area nearby for road training. If nothing ideal comes up, as a last resort, we could train at Fermilab...but it is 40 miles west of the lake and we all would have to drive there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed that Felix is scheduled to lead a 13-15 mph EBC ride to Lake Bluff this Sunday. Please keep in mind that it takes a certain amount of momentum to keep from falling over when riding a bike. Perhaps Martin could chime in with the physics involved when Felix is leading a "medium" paced ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Felix had only "hang on for dear life" speed

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am trying to find someone to lead that ride. I am working this Saturday, but planning on a VF ride on Sunday. I will post it after I find the replacement for the moderate ride.

    ReplyDelete